SLEEP DEPRIVATION: WORSE THAN YOU THINK
Everyone knows that sleep deprivation is bad, but they do not know how bad:
- Lack of sleep increases cancer risk so much that the World Health Organization cautions all overnight workers.
- It also increases coronary artery blockage. In 60 countries (and 1.6 billion people) that practice daylight savings time, it has been found that heart attacks increase 24% the day after the clocks ¨spring forward¨.
- For those who require 7.5-8 hours of sleep, a rather insignificant decrease to 6 hours affects athletic performance the next day 10-30%.
- If you sleep only 5-6 hours, the chances of getting injured during the sport season increase by 200%.
- A 2-3 hour sleep deficit per week alters glucose levels to a pre-diabetic state.
- Trying to diet, but not getting enough sleep? Up to 70% of the weight lost will be in muscle mass and not fat. Regular sleep is a powerful tool for controlling appetite and weight.
- Sleep deprivation correlates with psychiatric disorders such as depression and suicidal ideation. Perhaps the high suicide rates in Japan are related?
IS THAT ALL about sleep deprivation?
There is more. People who regularly sleep only 5 hours increase their likelihood of death at any point in their lives by 65%, compared with those who sleep 7-9.
But even that´s not all.
This includes Alzheimer´s, as well. During sleep, the brain´s ¨sewage¨ mechanism (glyptic system) clears itself of a toxic, sticky protein called beta-amyloid. ¨And therefore, every night of sleep deprivation, the likelihood of Alzheimer´s increases like compound interest on a loan¨.
Photo by Javier Penas on Unsplash
British scientists recently developed a treatment aptly called the “Trojan Horse”. it underwent clinical trials and was found effective in treating six different types of cancer.