- Remove your contacts 2 weeks prior to your procedure. This is extremely important to both maximize the health of your eyes and assure good results.
- There are generally no restrictions on eating or taking medication before or on your surgery day; however, please advise us of any medications you are taking.
- We recommend avoiding alcohol 24 hours before and after your procedure, as this tends to dehydrate the tissues.
- You will be given prescriptions for post-operative eye drops that must be filled prior to your procedure.
- Payment is due before the surgery day so that you can focus on your procedure and getting well, rather than the hassles of payment and financing.
- Please review and sign the consent form prior to your procedure.
- Please arrange to have someone take you home after the procedure.
Before Your Procedure
Day Of Your Procedure
- You can eat lightly prior to the procedure; however, do not consume caffeine (soda, chocolate, and coffee), alcohol or tobacco.
- Do not wear any facial make-up, eye make-up or any skin creams, lotions or moisturizers. Do not wear any scented products (i.e. perfume or cologne) or use hair products that contain alcohol (such as hair spray or mousse). The aromatic and alcohol vapors can impair the laser beam.>
- Wear comfortable clothing. The laser room temperature is cool so you may want to wear a sweatshirt or a sweater. Avoid materials such as wool that may generate lint in the surgical suite.
- Do not wear any jewelry, e.g. earrings, necklaces, and chains.
- In consideration of others, and to ensure your visit is as comfortable as possible, please do not bring children with you on the day of your surgery.
- Turn off your cell phone and other electronic devices prior to entering the laser room.
- Duration of your visit will be approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Please be aware that after the surgery your eyes will be irritated and light sensitive. Your eyes may burn, sting and tear excessively and you may feel a foreign body sensation. Do not rub your eyes. This usually dissipates within 24 hours after the procedure. It is okay to take a pain reliever such as Tylenol or Advil. Take 1-2 tablets of Tylenol or Advil every 4-6 hours as needed to alleviate discomfort.
- If necessary, you may gently dab-dry the corner of the eyelids and lashes.
- Remember to fully blink your eyes (without squeezing hard) several times per minute for the first 2 hours. This will help smooth the cornea. “Drink and Blink.”
- To prevent dehydration, do not consume alcohol, caffeine or chocolate and drink plenty of water the entire day.
- Wear the sunglasses provided. Most other varieties do not provide adequate protestion (rated UV 400, or better).
- Watching television is okay. Refrain from reading or com- puter work for 1 day.
- Follow the eye medication regimen.
- Wear your eye shields or specialized goggles at night. Use the tape to fasten shields to your eyes.
Follow Up Care
- Please be advised that your follow-up care is as important as the actual procedure.
- You are required to come to our office (9201 Sunset Blvd Suite 709, West Hollywood) in 24 hours after your LASIK for your first post-operative appointment.
- Continue using your eye medications.
- You may take a shower the day after surgery, but keep your eyes closed. Do not allow water to spray directly onto your face. Avoid soap or shampoo in your eyes for 1 week.
- Do not submerge in any bodies of water such as pools, jacuzzis, oceans, rivers or lakes for 2 weeks after your surgery.
- Mascara should not be used for 1 week. It is okay to use eye shadow and other make-up.
- Do not rub your eyes for 6 weeks following your treat- ment. If your eyes itch, notify your eye doctor and an anti-itch medication can be prescribed.
- Use sunglasses when outdoors for the first 4 weeks to protect your eyes from wind and dust.
- Wear your eye shields on at bedtime for 1 week (2 weeks if you sleep on your stomach) to keep from rubbing your eyes while asleep.
- Light exercise is okay, but avoid excessive workout for 5 days.
- It is always recommended that you wear protective eye- wear for racquet and contact sports and safety goggles for jobs/hobbies that require them.
- Do not swim, use a sauna or hot tub for 2 weeks following your surgery.
- You may fly 2 days after surgery. No scuba diving for 3 weeks.
If in doubt about any activity you can or cannot do, please contact the office at 310.507.7988.See LASIK patient testimonials
Hear From Our Patients
Orsi N., Google +
If you're thinking about LASIK surgery, don't even look further. Dr. Benjamin is the absolute best!! Couldn't be happier with his services.
elgordo123, City Search
Dr. Benjamin was so friendly that I can't wait until my next appointment! I DEFINITELY recommend him to anybody looking for a great ophthalmologist!
Wow, what a huge difference a short 15 minutes makes! Having spent so much of my life helpless without my glasses and inconvenienced by an expensive contacts routine -- suddenly I could see, and with minimal down-time.Read more testimonials