DAY BEFORE YOUR PRK SURGERY
- Use Zymar – 1 drop 4 times the day before your procedure.
- Remove all eye makeup, including eyeliner and mascara.
- Be certain to have driving arrangements made for the following day. Patients cannot drive home after surgery
- Pick up prescribed medications.
- On the morning of surgery, please take all medications as normally prescribed.
- Do NOT use any eye makeup, mascara, or fragrances.
- Please bring your post-op kit with you to the laser center.
- Please arrive 1 hour prior to surgery.
- If prescribed Valium, please take it upon arrival at the laser center.
- Wear comfortable clothing (bring a sweater as it tends to get cold in the laser room)
- We suggest you go home and nap for 4-6 hours.
- Continue your drops 2 hours after getting home.
- If sleeping, you do not have to wake up to take drops.
- Day 1: Next day post-operative check-up
- Day 4: Removal of bandage contact lenses.
- Day 10: Check vision and dry eyes.
- Month 1 and 3: Check for visual results
- Month 6: Check the visual stability of the eyes.
- One Year: Final check-up.
- Do not rub your eyes
- Take great care when blotting your eyes following eye drop insertion.
- A bandage contact lens was inserted for your comfort. If it falls out, please do NOT reinsert the lens. A new lens will be provided at your first post-operative visit.
- Depending upon your occupation and rate of recovery, you may need to arrange to be away from work for up to 3 days following your procedure.
NORMAL EARLY POSTOPERATIVE SYMPTOMS:
- Droopy or swollen eyelids.
- Watery eyes and redness.
- Scratchy or sandy sensation.
- Stinging with the eye drops.
- Hazy, or fluctuating vision.
- Sensitivity to bright lights.
- Some haloes at night.
- Discomfort usually recedes in 3 days.
You should not expect to see well immediately. There is normally much variability in the recovery rate between different patients, and even between both eyes of the same patient. The amount of blur during the first week is not relevant to the final visual outcome. Therefore, try not to over-analyze your vision at first. Although unavoidable, comparing the recovery period of one eye to another (or to that of another friend or relative) may raise unnecessary concern over normal differences.
Many PRK patients have found that an ice pack applied to the area of the treated eye is very soothing. Twenty minutes is the magic time for application. If you apply the ice for less than 20 minutes the beneficial effects can not happen. If you leave the ice on longer than 20 minutes, you can actually undo the benefits of the application. Make sure the ice pack is wrapped in a clean towel before you apply it. You may find that applying an ice pack for 20 minutes three or four times a day for the first two days is very helpful.
- It is normal for your vision to be blurry and fluctuate for the first few days and to gradually improve over the next 6-8 weeks. Complete visual recovery takes at least 3-6 months.
- If you are not comfortable driving or operating hazardous equipment, please avoid doing so until your vision is satisfactory.
- You may notice increased sensitivity to sunlight. This usually recedes over the next several months. Please wear sunglasses as needed for comfort.
- Refrain from all eye makeup for 5 days following surgery.
- We ask that you do not go swimming or go in a hot tub for at least 7 days following PRK. Normal showering and washing your hair is fine but be careful about getting soap or shampoo in your eyes.
If you are experiencing severe pain or sudden loss of vision, call our office at 310.275.5533.