Before the Surgery
- Take any prescribed heart, blood pressure and eye medication at your usual time (with minimal amount of water if needed).
- If you are taking insulin injections for diabetes, use ½ the usual amount of long-acting insulin and do not take your short-acting insulin. Bring your insulin bottles to the surgical center.
- Please make sure to bring a bag of frozen green peas with you to the surgical center.
- Please bring all eye medications prescribed to you
- Wash your face with soap in the morning. Do not wear any make-up, creams, or lotions.
- Do not wear any jewelry.
- Wear comfortable clothing that fastens in the front. Do not wear pull-over-the-head clothing, such as turtlenecks or t-shirts.
After the Surgery
- Please be aware: your eyelids may be swollen and show noticeable bruising. The swelling usually resolves within a few days. Discoloration of the skin or feeling of tightness are normal.
- Apply the bag with frozen green peas to your eyes for 20 minutes, then let your eyes rest for 20 more minutes, and apply the bag again for 20 minutes. Continue throughout the rest of the day.
- Please apply prescribed ointment four times a day
- Rest for the first 24 hours following the surgery, making sure your head is elevated above the level of your heart.
- Sleep on your back
- Avoid strenuous exercises and activities for the first two weeks after the surgery
- Sleep in an upright position, preferably on the back, for at least one week following the surgery
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol as it can slow down the healing process