The best way to use drops.
INSTILLING EYE DROPS
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Open the bottle with the medication
- Tilt your head back and look up, at the ceiling
- Pull the lower lid down until it forms a small pocket
- Squeeze the bottom of the dropper bottle to release one drop into the eye
- Make sure the tip of the bottle doesn’t touch the eye
- Release the lower lid and close your eye for a few seconds
- Dab excess medication with a tissue
- Replace the cap of the eye drops immediately after use
USING EYE OINTMENT
- Wash your hands well
- Remove the cap from the ointment tube
- Pull the lower lid down till it forms a small pocket
- Carefully squeeze a 1 cm line of ointment inside of the lower eyelid
- Make sure the tip of the tube doesn’t touch your eye
- Blink your eye to spread the ointment. Your vision may be blurred at this point, but it will get clear if you keep blinking
- Wipe away excess ointment with a clean tissue
- Replace the cap of the ointment tube
- It may be easier to instill drops and apply ointment in front of a mirror
- If you are using multiple eye drops, please allow for 10-15 minutes between instilling drops
- If you are using multiple eye ointments, allow about 30-45 minutes between two ointments.
- If you are using ointment and drops, use the drops first and wait for about 10 minutes before applying the ointment.
- If you are wearing contact lenses, remove them prior to instilling drops. You can wear them again in 10-15 minutes.
- Do not wear contact lenses if you’re using the eye ointment