The No-Regrets Guide to LASIK
Feel confident saying “Good-bye, glasses or contacts” and “Hello, freedom!”
If corrective lenses are holding you back from living life to the fullest, you’re not alone. And while LASIK promises the vision yIf corrective lenses are holding you back from living life to the fullest, you’re not alone. And while LASIK promises the vision you want and the freedom you long for, surgery can feel risky. After all, when it comes to your eyes, there’s no room for do-overs!ou want and the freedom you long for, surgery can feel risky. After all, when it comes to your eyes, there’s no room for do-overs!
- This No-Regrets Guide gives you the right questions to ask a potential LASIK provider, so you can put your vision in the right hands.
To save you an interview, we’ve included our own answers to these questions. But if you’d like additional clarification or have other concerns, let us know! We’re here for you.
1. Am I a good candidate for LASIK?
LASIK can improve nearsighted, farsighted, and astigmatic vision. But factors like age, eyeglass prescription, and even physical health impact your potential success and recovery.
Ocular surgeons use one of three methods to remove cataracts:
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- Your eyeglass prescription hasn’t changed for at least two years.
- Your eyes are free from disease, injury, and infection.
- You don’t have thin corneas, corneal scarring, a history of dry eye, a high degree of refractive errors, or large pupils.
- You don’t suffer from cataracts, diabetes, or an autoimmune disease such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.
- You’re not currently taking medications known to complicate or prevent healing.
- ou’re not pregnant or nursing.
Choosing the best solution for your vision also requires an understanding of your lifestyle, visual demands, and hobbies. That’s why at Benjamin Eye Institute, we listen first. If LASIK isn’t the best solution for your situation, we’ll be honest with you—and then recommend other treatments better suited to your needs.
2. What are your qualifications and experience with LASIK?
You’ll want a LASIK surgeon who has significant education, expertise, and experience with the procedure. But their knowledge shouldn’t begin and end with only LASIK. Why? Because, as the saying goes, if you’re a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all a physician knows is LASIK, they’re less likely to consider other options that may serve you better. To get a complete picture of a surgeon’s qualifications, ask:
- Where did you go to school?
Dr. Benjamin holds degrees from Cornell University and Duke University School of Medicine. He acquired his ophthalmology training at the world-renowned Jules Stein Eye Institute at the UCLA School of Medicine.
- How many years have you been practicing, and how many surgeries have you performed?
Since 1994, Dr. Benjamin has seen more than 250,000 patients and has personally performed more than 30,000 ocular surgeries.
- What other procedures do you offer?
At Benjamin Eye Institute, we evaluate your concerns from every angle and offer thoughtful solutions that best protect your vision for life. In addition to LASIK, we offer cataract care, cosmetic treatments, dry eye treatment, glaucoma support, retina services, and general eye health.
- Do you hold any certifications from specialty boards? Are you a member of any professional societies?
Dr. Benjamin is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology, a member of both the California Association of Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Ophthalmology, serves on the leadership team for the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. He also volunteers as an assistant clinical professor at the Jules Stein Eye Institute, where he teaches residents and medical students the latest surgical and medical advances in ophthalmology.
- How often do doctors refer their patients to your practice?
Other physicians not only frequently refer their patients to Dr. Benjamin, but they also trust him with their own eyesight. As a world-renowned ophthalmologist and eye surgeon, he has an unparalleled reputation as a “doctor’s doctor.”
3. What equipment and technology do you use for the procedure?
The best LASIK providers value quality care over their bottom line—and their equipment and technology will reflect this priority. State-of-the-art diagnostic tools and advanced surgical lasers are worth the investment because they deliver the safest, most precise vision correction.
At Benjamin Eye Institute, we use industry-leading, cutting-edge technology—found in only a handful of practices—to deliver exquisitely accurate LASIK solutions.
Unlike most LASIK providers, we own our diagnostic equipment and have an in-house surgical suite, which means everything is fine-tuned specifically and only for Dr. Benjamin. He has everything dialed in to perform his craft at his absolute best.
In addition, our advanced climate control protects the precision of our lasers, and our filtration system prevents bacteria from contaminating the environment. As a whole, our office is spotless, well-organized, and run by compassionate, patient-focused individuals.
We care about every aspect of your experience, so you never have to worry about mishaps or misunderstandings.
4. How much does LASIK cost, and what’s included?
Your LASIK investment will depend on several factors, including the degree of vision correction required, the technology used, and the surgeon’s experience and skill. While it may be tempting to choose a discounted version of LASIK, remember this procedure is irreversible. You truly can’t afford to choose cost over quality.
Regardless of where you have your procedure, you deserve transparent, all-inclusive pricing.
During your initial consultation at Benjamin Eye Institute, we’ll explain your treatment options and provide a detailed explanation of every related cost so there are no unpleasant surprises. For those who qualify, we offer 0% interest financing for two years through Care Credit, and our guarantee provides peace of mind that your investment will be worth it. (More on that in #5!)
5. What results can I expect?
When you receive LASIK from an expert physician who uses the most sophisticated technology available, you can expect your vision to be better than it was with your corrective lenses.
Occasionally, LASIK patients require an enhancement procedure within the first year post -surgery to fine-tune their vision.
If you require an enhancement procedure, we provide it at no additional cost to you.
But chances are, you won’t. Because Dr. Benjamin takes the time to accurately diagnose his patients upfront—and because he uses exceptionally precise equipment—only 1-3% of his patients require enhancement. That’s 5x lower than the industry average of 15%.
Life is beautiful. We help you see it.
Don’t let your glasses and contacts hold you back from living your life to the fullest. Patients often say LASIK is the best decision they’ve ever made. Here are your next steps:
- Schedule your free consultation. Call or text 310.275.5533, or take advantage of Breeze, our convenient, online scheduling tool.
- Get thoughtful, expert care. We’ll answer all your questions, evaluate your eyes, and only recommend LASIK if it's the best solution for you today and in the future.
- Enjoy life, unencumbered. The procedure takes less than 10 minutes per eye, and we'll walk you through every step. With all-laser LASIK, the recovery time is quick, so you can enjoy your newfound freedom right away!
Take your next step toward being free to see